Monday, May 14, 2012

Music Review: Songs that just happen to be on my Zune right now.

Real simple reviews this time, as I look at various oddball songs that I just happen to have on my Zune. I was loading a couple of singles last week and accidentally sent over the entire folder of single songs to my player. I'm a dinosaur in that I prefer album-oriented rock, but I have the occasional single that gets stuck in my head.

"Hit Me with Your Rhythm Stick" by Ian Dury and the Blockheads. Ian Dury was another entertainer who died far too soon. He and his band were a popular new wave act in the UK, and never really got any airplay in the US. Imagine if U2 wasn't so full of themselves and could actually have fun; then you'd have a good idea of some of the Blockheads' sound. Dury's vocals are understated on this number and the song is more of a dance number than anything else. Very enjoyable to listen at any time.



"Marvin, I Love You" by Stephen Moore. A novelty song about Marvin the Paranoid Android, the robot from Douglas Adams' legendary The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, performed by Moore, who provided the original voice for Marvin. Simple, one-joke song. You probably have heard it on Doctor Demento at one time or another.



"Sky High" by Jigsaw. I remember this as being a really crappy song when I was a kid, having got the whole album from the Columbia Record Club. It is actually a very layered pop song that is an enjoyable listen. The lyrics are near as sappy as I remember them to be.



"Beautiful World" by Devo. One of my favorite Devo songs, off the New Traditionalists album. Mark Mothersbaugh and company could make some good pop songs as well as the primitive new wave they band was known for. This one plays real nice until the kicker in the last verse that turns it into pure Devo.



"On the Loose" by Saga. Saga is one of those Canadian bands like Rush or Triumph: A progressive group with a lot of popularity everywhere but the US. This song was their highest charting number in the States, mostly due to some constant airplay on MTV. Michael Sadler has a distinctive voice and projects a lot of energy. Definitely one of my favorite 80's hits.

"Word Up" by Cameo. I have no idea why I like this song. I've never been much in to funk, R&B or dance music, but I just enjoy this tune. It brings to mind Tracy Morgan's impression of Larry Blackmon on Saturday Night Live, when all he could answer any question with was "Word up!"



That's all this time around! Next time, some more geeky stuff!



NOW AVAILABLE FOR THE AMAZON KINDLE
by Rich Meyer

For those of you new to e-books and quiz books, here's one to tempt your trivial taste buds: 101 questions on comic books for all ages, all skill levels. 

Almost every major comic book company is represented: Marvel, DC, Gold Key, Charlton, Dell, etc., along with almost every genre of comic book, from super-heroes to funny animals!

The questions are interactively linked to the answers for easy navigation. 







No comments:

Post a Comment